Search this site or the web powered by FreeFind

Site search Web search

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Tattoos, Taboo, and the Holy Ghost

I wanted to be a writer, among other things. During my year at what I like to call a "real" college, I wrote a lot. I took two composition classes while I was there and I enjoyed both of them quite a bit. During the course of my Composition I class I wrote a paper which has pretty much remained my favorite paper of all time. It was all about getting my first tattoo. I got to explore how tattoos are both traditional and taboo and how the co-exist in our society. Being the proud "owner" of not one but three tattoos I can relate. I've always got someone who loves them and thinks they're great and I've always got someone who looks at me like I'm the devil. Then again, I don't really care. I did it for me. I did it for me because I need something to prove I'm here, I need something to prove I stood in that place at that time and I was really there. I need that marking, I need that symbol, I need that memory. My tattoos are not really that symbolic to the outsider but to me they mean things, they mark time, they represent growth, they represent an era. I've had a lot of older people tell me that at twenty three how can I have that much time to mark? Well, I can and I will. My next tattoo is going to be a memorial. To mark an animal that I cherished who is no longer with me. If there's someone that wants to criticize that, then fine, but I think that is a really naive and a really ignorant way to act and a way to live your lives. If there is one thing that I've learned so far about life, it's this, well two things. One, people are funny, we all have our quirks and our fears and our insecurities and they all come out in different ways and in different times and places. And it doesn't make anybody any better or any worse than anybody else, actions aside. Two, life goes on and it always will. Wounds heal, hearts heal, time heals you. I kinda feel though sometimes you need something to mark that time, to remember, so the memory of a person, a place, a feeling, a moment, doesn't fade away. That's what tattoos mean to me, it's very simple really. All I've got left to say is I'm excited for my next one.

8 comments:

craperlogy said...

omg, you like writing? don't take it the wrong way please, there is really nothing wrong with reading, it just that i am not so much into it. But it good for you, there are various benefits one can get from writing, it a real good way to work your brains, make one more elegant, more smart, more civilize.

well, come check out my answers blog if you have the time.

http://craperlogy-answers.blogspot.com

it a blog that answers all questions, you gotta know, being a writer is not easy, and being a good writer is even harder, and you need to do research, so come check out my blog if you have any questions.

my blog really answers all questions, be it science, math, school work or about life.

trust me, the answers that this blog give is so great that it even better than answers.com itself.

http://craperlogy-answers.blogpsot.com

Browneyedgurly said...

Yes, I love to write, I always have really since the time I was really, really young. I never seemed to be able to make it my career so I keep it as a hobby, it's more enjoyable that way.

KnotGypsy said...

I, too, love to write.

I say, I love your attitude! Stick to your guns, and be yourself. It doens't matter what others think. You are right, there are always people who will like what you do, and those who won't.

I am impressed in the wisdom you show at, yes, such a young age! lol, but one does not expect to find it in the young. It only goes to prove that if you use your mind, and pay attention, you can develop wisdom at any age.

Gina Marie said...

i really like your writing...you commented on my blog earlier today...i just wanted to say thanks..and i know you're right. i can do way better.

Harmony Sweetpea said...

I have 3 tattoos too and you're so right... opinions are divided. People either love them or hate them but stuff em! Mine are all easy to hide because I'm a psych graduate and I need to keep them subtle ;-)

http://psychmumble.blogspot.com

Browneyedgurly said...

I've luckily never had a job where I had to hide mine, even though they are all in places that are easy to conceal!

C. Davis said...

I've been planing on getting a tattoo too, in the same spot you got yours! It's very cute by the way. I was thinking of getting a calla lily.

It's also very cool that you want to be a writer. I've wanted to be a writer ever since I can remember. Good luck to you! Be sure to post some of your stuff!

Browneyedgurly said...

Thank you, that was my first tattoo. Calla lilly's are beautiful and I'm sure it would be a very pretty tattoo. Just wait till you get your first one you'll want more and more they become addictive!!

Add to Technorati Favorites