Search this site or the web powered by FreeFind

Site search Web search

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Confessions from the Dental Chair


Today I went into the oral surgeon to have a tooth extracted. It was really nothing too extreme but it sparked some revelations that can only be described in the following manner. Since this was just a standard extraction I was referred to the oral surgeon only because I have a problem keeping my mouth open, that's a really funny thought to anyone that knows me because I'm sure they will tell you my problem is just the opposite. So it was determined that I was to undergo the procedure under anesthesia and thus my story begins.
I had to be placed under anesthesia just to remove the troublesome tooth and I was a bit uncomfortable with this idea. I had little time to be uncomfortable although because before I knew it the IV drip was in my arm and the oxygen mask was over my face. I was never fully under because I can remember most details of the surgery, feeling no pain and only pressure it was not an uncomfortable experience and my time spent in the dentist's chair was not all that uncomfortable or painful.
I spent the rest of the day laying on the couch watching HGTV and re runs of whatever tv shows I could find on daytime television. I've been eating lots of ice cream and butterscotch pudding as I've been told this will be easy on my sore mouth. I have to admit that I was scared of getting this tooth pulled. I think I was more scared of the unknown, which is a common theme among the human race. But I faced it, well more or less I was thrown into it and I survived. It's been a long day and I made it through somehow.
From the dentist's chair back to my chair I've learned that I can be a grown up and still be scared and I can get through things and be ok all at the same time. If that last sentence made any sense at all! Maybe this will be of use for things in the future, maybe it won't, whatever it was it was a good day and my mouth will heal and I will heal and be good as new in no time at all. Hopefully soon because I would really, really like some solid food!

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites