Search this site or the web powered by FreeFind

Site search Web search

Friday, June 1, 2007

Glimpses of the past more like audio clips ringing through my ears

I had some time to kill yesterday so I was wandering through some stores in my neighborhood. I went into this one store and I really cannot remember the name of it as I write this post. It was kind of a punk type store which was not unusual for the neighborhood I was in. Lots of skater stuff, stickers, postcards and the like. But what caught my attention was the music blaring out of the speakers. I heard a tune I hadn't heard in years and it brought me back in time. Now I really cannot remember the name of the song and I'm a bit blurry on who sings it. I'm torn between if it was Alkaline Trio or some local band whose singer I was in love with back when I was eighteen.
All I know is that it brought me back in time. Back to a place when I want to say life was simple, although it really wasn't. I kind of feel as if I am the narrator for the Wonder Years and I am looking back on my life to a soundtrack of music. This one song has brought me so far back even though it's only about five years. I can't believe I was that young and that impressionable and that fascinated with bands and people and places. If only that was me now.
Yet, I would never want to go back to that place. I really like the person I have become and I would never want to be eighteen again. Although I mentioned before some of the memories I have are turbulent some of them are bittersweet. Crushing on a boy in a band, late night phone calls, music that depicts your life. The good and the bad balanced each other out.
Now my life is more realistic and much more adult. It's like that music brought me back to a place where I still had a bit of childhood left in me and a bit of a yearning to be an adult. It was a stepping stone to where I am now.
It's nice to walk down memory lane once in awhile, but I would never go back. I like being an adult and I think I'll stay here, not as if I had a choice. Thank you's go out to that unknown store and that unknown band for giving me a bit of a memory. It made me realize just how far I've come and how far I can go.

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites